Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pokemon Card "Trading" - by Cade


Tyler, Adam and Jason did a little Pokemon card trading today. Here's a play-by-play of the events.

1. Before church, Tyler let's me know that Adam and Jason have given him some Pokemon cards. I'm a little suspicious, but Adam and Jason cheerfully back up Tyler's story. Before today, Adam has had around 100 cards and Jason has had about 30 cards. Previous to today, Tyler has never owned any Pokemon cards - he's been a Yu-Gi-Oh man.

2. The three boys begin to trade cards - everyone is getting along. We head off to church. No tears, no foul.

3. The card trading continues after church. Stacy and I are not really paying attention because no one is crying or running in and telling on anyone else.


4. Around 7:00 pm, Jason verbally reports some unfair trading practices. I go to investigate and find that Jason has 9 cards left and that Tyler now has a mitt full of cards. Jason is crying. Stacy
and I question Tyler and he claims that all of the trades have been fair. Apparently, Adam has also been involved in the trading. I ask Tyler why Jason only had 9 cards and why he has 21 cards. Tyler claims that all of the trades have been "fair" and that he has traded Jason a few of his "strong" cards for a bunch of Jason's "weak" cards. Tyler also mentioned something about "hit points", but since Stacy and I don't understand anything about Pokemon cards, we are unable to determine whether the trading has been fair or not.

5. At this point, I once again wonder why the boys don't have baseball cards instead of Pokemon
and Yu-Gi-Oh cards. A few years ago, when Tyler had first expressed a desire to get into the Yu-Gi-Oh card collecting business, I did what any normal father would do - I bought him some baseball cards instead. He looked at the baseball cards with disgust and again asked for Yu-Gi-Oh cards. Stacy and I gave in and bought him a few packs of the cards he wanted. When Adam wanted Pokemon cards, we just let it happen. Jason is relatively new to the Pokemon cards, but I'm afraid that there are no baseball cards in his future either. If the boys were trading baseball cards instead of Pokemon cards, and Tyler had traded Jason a Dale Berra card (bad) for a Dale Murphy card (good), then I would have known immediately that there was some unfair trading going on. But, I don't have any idea if there has been unfair trading or not. The only real pieces of evidence I have are these three pictures.

Exhibit #1 - Tyler happily displaying his new Pokemon card collection. Remember, he had no Pokemon cards as of this morning.


















Exhibit # 2 - Adam also all smiles. Apparently he is satisfied with today's trading.


















Exhibit #3 - Jason, all teary-eyed, refusing to pose for a picture. In this case a picture really is worth a thousand words.



















6. Well, here's the dilemma. Do we make Tyler and Adam give back all of the cards Jason traded them? Do we just let things go? Stacy and I talked to the boys and tried to make Tyler and Adam feel guilty - because we're sure Jason has been royally ripped off. We also tell Jason that he is a big boy (5 years old) and that he doesn't have to trade them any cards if he doesn't want to. As we told them goodnight and tucked them into bed we told Tyler and Adam that we're sure they will do the right thing. I'm not holding my breath, though.

9 comments:

Jessica said...

Cade--is this an appropriate time to air all of my previous game-playing fairness issues I have with you? Hmmm? I'm sure my mommy would back me up!

Bekki said...

We run into the same problem here. Fortunately we have Kaylie, the ever honest child and guilt always works on her anyway. Brenden however, is a rock and we have to keep an eye on him. I'm siding with Jason. I say he gets a brand new pack and he gets to rub it in the faces of his older brothers.

Unknown said...

So, did they give them back to Jason or what?

Jensons said...

That is funny stuff Cade.....keep up the good posting, you are a good example to Brad. Also I have no advice seeing as how I didn't even know cards like that existed.

Erin said...

I can honestly say that I did not even comprehend about 70% of this post. Poke-what? Digi-who? And it's good you provided the parenthetical explanations regarding the good vs. bad on the baseball players. That took my comprehension from about 25% up to 30%. Phew. ;)

Poor Milo. We're going to need some boy cousins to move this way pretty quick. He's obviously going to need some card-coaching in the near future.

Suzanne Lancaster said...

Well, I don't know what to tell you. On Monday, Chase brought his Pokemon card book to your house, and when we got home, he had his book with NOT EVEN ONE POKEMON card inside! Chase wasn't too sad though. The only reason he likes to have Pokemon cards is to give them all away. The other kids think he's so cool, and they give him all the attention he so desperately craves! What can I say? He needs to buy his friends - just like mamma!

Lorena said...

Can't help much here. When it's time for birthdays in your family, I just close my eyes and pick a pack of cards at the store, hoping for good luck.

Thankfully, Drew is not into the cards, which is good, because it sounds like his cousins would totally bamboozle him into some unfair trade.

Dane said...

Why are you hatin' on Dale Berra?(Do you like my junior high lingo?) I think Butch Wynegar or "Charlie Hustle and Dr. K" are even worse. Sadly, our mommy would back up Jessica as well ... "one way or another."

Chupacabra said...

What Cards did they Get Anyway? TELL ME!