Friday, February 22, 2008

Once Upon a Time...

...I was a "boy mom" for a good many years and, to be honest, I assumed I always would be and that was fine with me. Being a "boy mom" was cool. Plus, I was given all kinds of accolades for being a "boy mom" because people know how much work little boys are - most days it was a bit like trying to manage a group of bear cubs. I was far too busying with my cute little boys to worry too much about those little pink bundles my friends were walking around with. To be honest, they seemed a little mysterious and threatening, until...



I done got me one...



...and ANOTHER!
It's a little bit odd now because when the boys are at school and I go places with Hannah and Rachel, I'm a "girl mom" and that's fine, too. It sure has it's own set of rules, however, one of which is to incorporate all things "princess" into daily living. It started at the Target Portrait Studio about a year ago. The photographer was trying to get Hannah (about 2) to pose for the camera, and Hannah was not being particularly cooperative (gasp). That is, until the photographer said these magical words: "Hannah, can you show me your princess hands?" Hannah instantly understood what her hands should be doing in the picture (?), made them do it, then smiled demurely into the camera. From then on I knew "princess" was my ticket to surviving girldom. Now Hannah will do pretty much anything that a princess would do such as: eat vegetables at dinner, potty in the toilet (with the help of princess panties), fetch diapers for Rachel, and go to bed at 8:00 (with the help of a "Princess Hannah" story, in which the heroine "Princess Hannah" is beautiful and wonderful and obedient (more brainwashing) to her parents, the King and Queen. Works like a charm!!) Here are a few pictures, in honor of "Her Majesty"!

Hannah is actually wearing a flower petal headband here (Target $1Spot), but she thinks it's a crown! I caught her outside singing & twirling on this particular occasion!




No one was more excited than Princess Hannah for Halloween. I even let her wear some of my "lips" and "cheeks" on this day! Her little rhinestone-and-tulle-clad head grew a few sizes while trick-or-treating from all the "oh, well aren't you a beautiful princess!" comments. She still tries to squeeze into this dress from time to time to re-live the magic.




Still, we musn't forget that she has 3 very influential big brothers! Besides, this proves that this little princess is learning how to "mix looks"... how fashion-forward is that!!




Fortunately, she has managed to find other princesses to be ridiculously girly with, like her cousin "Princess Carly" and...







...her little sister, Rachel ("Princess in Training").






For the record, this "boy/girl mom" is enjoying...BOTH!

6 comments:

Jessica said...

That Halloween picture is the perfect girl/boy picture ever.

Abbie said...

I'm glad you like doing both. I was pretty sure that I would have 5 boys, and be a boy mom forever, but now I get to enjoy being a girl mom. I’m totally using the princess trick. Thanks.

Lorena said...

Wah!...her Princess Pal should be Brookie!! Can't wait to see Hannah's reaction to Brooke's "Princess Room!" 12 more days...

Erin said...

You are so good at both (from what I hear!). You're right--we haven't even seen you seen you became a "girl mom". Is that possible?! Has it really been that long?! Wow...I think it has!

Unknown said...

Stacey, that was so sweet. I started to tear up a bit looking at those pictures(shocker). I was there when you were the boy mom, and I'm here during the girl mom time. I must say, you do both very well. :-)

Gardner Family said...

Though I envy you as a "girl mom" I am happy for you. It is still fun being a boy mom. At least I'm the "Princess" of our home.