Friday, May 16, 2008

Go Figure!

So, I haven't been sleeping well at night lately. I'm up several times during the night. Now, you may be thinking that it is because of this'n:


You're wrong.

The problem, unfortunately...is this'n:
Question? How do you keep a 3 year-old in her bed at night? Keep in mind that I can't lock her in her room, because she will scream a lot and insist she has to go potty (if you don't believe me, last night's proof is double-bagged in the garbage can!) Seriously, I've tried everything (I say "I've" tried everything, because Cade sleeps through all of our little encounters during the night.) I've tried "good cop", lovingly explaining that "we" need to stay in "our" beds until it's light outside. I've tried "bad cop", complete with raised voice and empty threats, to no avail! In Hannah's undeserved defense, she's barely coherent when she wanders into our room the 5 or 6 times each night. All she wants is for me to tuck her back into her bed, which seemed pretty harmless to me several months ago when this all started. Now it's just a bad habit and rather annoying, especially when my 9 month old has no problem sleeping 10-11 hours at night without a peep. Tyler was the only other child of mine that did anything like this, but he just got out of bed a lot at bedtime, not throughout the entire night. Anyway, I'm out of ideas, so if you have any suggestions, bring 'em on!

*FYI: The bruise on Hannah's cheek was self-inflicted at the grocery store last week...I promise even "bad cop" wouldn't do that!

5 comments:

Hollyween said...

I got no clue. Levi always stayed in bed. I have no idea why. He has the "I'm too scared to get out of bed" gene. It wasn't until he was 4 and a half and I was tired of listening to him say, "mooooooommmmmmmmyyyyyyy" when he woke up in the morning that I told him to get himself out of bed. With Faith? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be so lucky. She's into everything. It's just a matter of time before she climbs out of her crib.

Melissa said...

I did read the entire post and then forgot it all when you said that your 9 month old sleeps 10-11 hours.... WOW!

Lorena said...

Did it start when I slept in her bed when she insisted that I do so?

C'mon, just let her in with you, what's the harm in that?

OK, so yes, I am a bad mother and I let my daughter get in my bed. In my defense, it is a King-Size bed and she is very sneaky about the whole thing. I don't notice she is there until the wee hours of the morning and cuddling with her is way more fun than getting out of bed, picking her up, carrying her to her bed, and walking back to my bed.

Actually Brooke got her "Big Girl" bed today. Let's see how it goes.

She must have learned the "I have to go potty" excuse at my house...sorry.

CHECKETTS BUNCH said...

Hey when you figure it out - let me know - I have been dealing with the same thing with my three year old. But I am a deep sleeper and I don't realize he is in there. At least you're trying. I think eventually they just get it. All of mine have tried to pull that at one point or another. Even my 10 year old will sometimes try to crawl in - now that one - I notice.

Anonymous said...

Man if you find the answer to this problem let me know! I have the same problem with Sienna, Rogdon(the little angel) also sleeps through the night.My solution when school is done will be to lock the door at bedtime. I know it seems mean but how long can I share my bed with her?