Sunday, August 30, 2009

"Another One Bites the Dust..."

On Saturday I ran the Legacy Parkway Half-Marathon. My good friend, Crystal, ran it with me (or ahead of me, I should say). It was a hard race for me. It was hot outside and running in a straight line for 13.1 miles was less than thrilling! But we did it and I beat my previous time by 5 minutes coming in at 2:06 so I'm good with that.
(I love it that Rachel is handing me my Gatorade - what a cutie! Cade made arrangements for the boys to get to their soccer games so he could watch me finish my race along with Hannah and Rachel. I get all choked up seeing my family cheering and supporting me at every race. How awesome!)

So, it was a hard race. Thank goodness we have our I-pods to keep us movin', right? For the first couple of miles, things were going good and my music was definitely my friend, playing songs like "Let's Get it Started" (Black-Eyed Peas) and "Move Along" (All-American Rejects). I felt like the lyrics were directed right at me and I pressed on enthusiastically. However, pretty soon...about mile 3...my I-pod turned on me! The messages in the songs began to get a little discouraging, to say the least. I am not kidding, these are the songs I listened to on my race:

Mile 3..........Help! (The Beatles)
Me:"I need somebody...not just anybody...how about a paramedic?"

Mile 4..........I Can't Break Away (Big Pig)
Me:"I really CAN'T break away...my legs won't go any faster!"

Mile 5..........The Hardest Part (Coldplay)
Me:"This is definitely the hardest part...wait, NOW it's the hardest part!"

Mile 6..........Take Me Out (Franz Ferdinand)
Me:"...to the port-o-potty gosh-dang-it, or this whole race for all I care!"

Mile 7..........I Think I'm Paranoid (Garbage)
Me:"I thought I passed you already, Mr. Shortstootight...I think I AM Paranoid!"

Mile 8..........Crazy (Gnarles Barkley)
Me:"...for ever signing up for this stinkin' race!"

Mile 9..........Harder to Breathe (Maroon 5)
Me:"Not!...Enough!...Oxygen!"

Mile 10........Here it Goes Again (OK Go)
Me:"Where's the next port-o-potty!!!!!"

Mile 11.........Hate (Plain White Ts)
Me:"Hate IS a strong word, but I really really really don't like this!"

Mile 12........Under Pressure (Queen)
Me:"If I don't beat my last time, so help me!"

Mile 13.........I Wanna Be Sedated (The Ramones)
Me:"SERIOUSLY!"


My songs were literally "speaking" to me, I tell ya! I think on my next race I'll re-think my playlist. Maybe then I wouldn't have such a bad attitude. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I love all of your songs. I'm totally going to steal them.

My favorite songs on my ipod right now are Disturbia by Rhianna, Calling You by Blue October and I don't Hook Up by Kelly Clarkson.d

*Monica* said...

I have The Middle by Jimmy Eat World and How Far We've Come by Matchbox 20 come on during the hardest part of my run.

Congrats on beating your time!

Jensons said...

Nice job, 2:06 is great!!!! I bet it was hard to just run in a straight line, but you beat your time. Hurray!

crystal said...

Stacey,
This comment is three months late. I do not ever want to get a picture standing next to you again. Talk about beef cake! Any way thanks for helping me get through the race. I love running with you. We will have to plan our next crazy adventure race for the spring!