Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Tagged! - Chapter 1

I've been TAGGED by two different people (Thanks Monica and Suzanne!) so I guess I'll humor the both of you and enlighten the world with this post wherein I will attempt to share 7 interesting/weird facts about myself. Here goes...AHEM...

1. I am Obsessed with Sleep
(Sadly, I can find absolutely no photo documentation of me sleeping. Troubling, really. I'll have to add that to Cade's "to do" list...take pictures of me sleeping for the blog!)

I think I love to sleep more than most people. When I pull those covers back each night and climb into my bed, I'm almost giddy with anticipation and I easily slide into unconsciousness with an immense feeling of joy and satisfaction. Love it. Waking up, however, is the bane of my existence, so no, I am definitely not a morning person. Cade tells me that when I'm pregnant I whimper in my sleep like a puppy. He finally figured out that it was because I had to go to the bathroom (again, like a puppy) but truly DID NOT want to have to wake up and go so he started rolling me out of bed and making me go whenever I'd start up with the whimpering.
Every day when I wake up I feel like I am dead or dying. I convince myself that I am definitely sleep deprived and VOW that I will make time for a nap that day, which really only happens about 5% of the time. I used to nap almost every day when life wasn't so chaotic and I only had a couple of small children - they were on a strict schedule and always napped at the same time. Once they were down, I would frantically tidy the house (I can't sleep if the house isn't tidy...otherwise I feel irresponsible and lazy), take the phone off the hook...and sleep.
They say you can't "make up" sleep if you lose a few hours one day, but I beg to differ!! I always make up lost sleep, it drives me crazy if I don't. I need about eight hours of sleep to feel happy and productive throughout the day - if I'm at six or seven you can "rest" assured I will find a way to make up that lost hour or two. Sundays are Hog Heaven for me. I LOVE early morning church because it means I get a longer nap. And the best part is that we as Latter-Day Saints are actually encouraged to sleep on Sundays - it's keeping the Sabbath Day perfectly holy and I'm confident that I am being blessed immeasurably for it.
Thankfully Cade's completely opposite of me. 5 hours of sleep is plenty for him so he's quite accommodating toward my borderline-psychotic need for sleep. I'm usually in bed by 11 p.m. each night and sleep as late as I possibly can and still make breakfast and get the kids ready for school. There's no early morning scripture study or early-bird workouts at the gym for me. Nope...not if it cuts into my "sleepin' time". Tyler actually listed "sleeping" as my favorite hobby during a Mother's Day Newlywed Game-type activity at church. Everyone laughed. "Silly Tyler," they all thought "kids say the darndest things!" Little did they know he was right on the money! It's okay. Other moms quilt, read, scrapbook,
and paint. I sleep...and I'll keep on sleeping. It's how I roll.

Okay, so Fun Fact #1 was so long that I've decided to drag my "Tag" out into 7 separate posts. Hopefully I can do one each day for a week...between naps, of course!

10 comments:

Lorena said...

Since I am a fellow "Sleep Hog" I still think we should open our Sleep Spa. We would make so much money...

Anonymous said...

I LOVE IT!! I hate that I have to pretend to be happy to get the kids up to get off to school. I count down till they leave the house so I can lay down for 20 minutes to feel like I can really function. I LOVE sleep too!

*Monica* said...

I think all of us secretly love sleep and dread waking up in the morning. I don't know what I am going to do when my kids are in high school and have to start getting up at a ridiculously early hour.

Abbie said...

I am so going to take a nap right now.

Cade Seeley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cade Seeley said...

You're cute!

whatyoudidn'tKNOWlton said...

I had no idea we had this much in common! We should have girls night sleeps instead of girls night outs!!! HEhehe UEA has been awesome...sleep in!

Donelle said...

Okay, so I am totally with you on this. Every morning I am certain that I am dying and will not be able to make it through the day. Crazy how when I get up and moving I don't feel like death anymore. I sure wish I could get over that first feeling of death and wake up feeling refreshed and energized. I don't think that has ever happened in my life. Love the sleep :)

Suzanne Lancaster said...

Ok, so I think your "sleep blog" was longer than your "Rachel blog". There's a little problem there. Sorry, I'm just the bitter sister that sit's up late pouring out my inner most thoughts and feelings to you...and your response??? Zzzzzzz, SNORE, Zzzzzz! It's infuriating! Get your priorities straight. Me, Rachel, THEN sleep :)

Jodi said...

Who doesn't love sleep? Only, well, you sound a little obsessed with it. :)haha. I totally can't function without my sleep. What I'm wondering though is how you had five kids. Seriously!! That's at least 1 and a half years per child of no sleep. How did you survive?