Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tagged! - Chapter 2

Okay, so this probably won't we an actual "chapter" like my last post (because it's almost bedtime) and yes, I realize I didn't keep my word about posting for seven days straight...sorry. On with the show.


#2 I love almost any recipe with a special ingredient, especially if that special ingredient is sour cream.



I thought my mom was INSANE when I first saw her dump sour cream in her sugar cookie dough. SICK! But when I finally got up the nerve to taste 'em, they were delicious and I knew it was all because of the special ingredient...sour cream! Special indeed. Now I specifically look for recipes with sour cream in it and I'm almost never disappointed. I don't know what it is about sour cream in stuff - I'm no food scientist, but I'm pretty sure there is some chemical reaction that occurs and transforms any recipe from ordinary to exraordinary in a single dollup! From cookies and cakes to soups and casseroles, you really can't go wrong with sour cream. It's the special-est.

Now, sour cream isn't the only special ingredient I love, although it is probably my most favorite. Another is soda pop. I've used it to slow cook meet, I've added it to cobblers and most recently in making my friend Jill's to-die-for apple dumplings that I've made twice in the past 5 days and literally close my eyes and go to heaven for a few minutes while eating. I'll never look at a can of Sprite the same way again. I'm in awe.

Now , I could go on and on but I won't. Have you any special ingredients that I need to know about. Do tell!! In the meantime, here are a couple of "special ingredient" recipes to try...if you DARE!


White Chili
1 lb. diced chicken
1 medium onion, chopped

1Tbs. oil

1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp. ground cumin

1/2 tsp. pepper

1 tsp. oregano

cayenne pepper (optional)

2 cans white beans, drained

1 can chicken broth

2 cans (4oz.) diced green chilies

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup whipping cream

Saute chicken, onion and garlic powder in oil. Add beans, green chilies, chicken broth & seasonings; bring to boil. Reduce heat and
simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sour cream and whipping cream. Serve with sliced olives, shredded
cheese, and tortilla chips (Hint of Lime Tostitos are my favorite!)


Apple Dumplings
4 granny smith apples peeled, cored and cut into quarters
2 cans pillsbury cresent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla
1/2 - 1 can moutain dew, gingerale or sprite
cinnamon
Roll up each apple quarter in a crescent roll and place side by side in a buttered 13 x 9 pan. Melt butter. BARELY (and this is the secret) BARLEY stir in the sugar and vanilla. Don't let the sugar dissolve. Just stir till combined - but BARELY :) Pour over apples. Then pour your soda around the edges of the pan. Bake for 40 min at 350 until pretty and brown on top. Cool for 15-20 min and enjoy!!!!

7 comments:

Jill said...

Stac - I wish you were here so that we could get together and eat both my fav chili and the yummy apple goo! Miss you!!!

Jill

Loree said...

oooh, i remember tasting your white bean chili and it was DELICIOUS!!! thanks for the reciepe. I agree that sour cream makes everything better. infact last night my husband tried a yummy fruit dip at a neighbors house and he thought it was carmel. she said it was sour cream and brown sugar and that is it? He said it was GOOD!!! i'm gonna have to try it and thought i would pass the idea on to you! have a great day:)

Goldie said...

ohhhh that apple thing was SO good. My favorite sour cream treat is dip a strawberry in it and the coat with brown sugar....my mouth is watering.
And your white chili is AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

I have wanted your chili recipe for a while now! I agree that sourcream definately makes everything better! I also find this to be true about cream cheese. miss ya!

Suzanne Lancaster said...

I hate to brag, but I make the meanest banana bread...bet you can't guess what the secret ingredient is - banana's! J/K. Sour cream also makes a mean banana bread. I think I will try making an entire meal with sour cream in each dish - you'll be the guest of honor (and you'll be responsible for bringing the food) I can't wait :)

Sarah said...

That's so weird. . . I remember you making sugar cookies with sour cream and thinking that was strange. I hadn't thought about that in forever. I agree about sour cream! I'm a firm believer. Try it in gravy-- as in roast with mashed potatoes and gravy. Way yummy I must say.

Stacy, your blogs never fail to entertain and impress with your creativity. Blog on, by all means!

Unknown said...

Yippee!!! I am so happy to try these concoctions out. I still have your little recipe book you made in our ward using ground beef. I love all of those. I can't go wrong with a recipe from Stace!