Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Potty Humor

Hannah wandered downstairs last night and informed me that she had wet in her underpants "just a little tiny bit" in her dramatic Hannah-style, complete with hand gestures to illustrate such a minute amount. She then reassured me in her most sympathetic voice (complete with head tilt and nod) "It's okay if I go just a little tiny bit [voice higher] in my underwear, right, mom? That's okay...") to which I responded (with markedly less sympathy) "No, Hannah...it's not okay to go in your underwear, not even if it's a little tiny bit. When your body tells you that it's time to use the bathroom, you need to listen and go right away." She stared at me, first inquisitively, then incredulously and exclaimed "Mommy, my bum doesn't know how to talk!!" She couldn't contain a giggle - a brazen acknowledgment of her own mother's ignorance of the human anatomy and its functions (AND because she had just said the word "bum"), then ran off to play. Ya gotta love potty humor...and 3-year-olds. Maybe they are mutually compatible after all!

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Totally best kid comment of the month.

Seth's bum is completely mute, by the way. I hate his bum for never talking.

Lisa Haws and family said...

priceless...... she's probably really confused now..... because don't you remember that a few weeks ago you told her that people "pee" in their cheerios? ha ha

Marcie said...

Potty humor rox!

Goldie said...

that is so funny! she is so cute!

Carr Family said...

Oh I miss that kid, we were buds! Tell her Sarah says "HI".
Thank you for your condolences on the dead fish, I'm still grieving. Good luck with your bunny, we love ours, they make great pets.
Much love!!

Lorena said...

My bum talks after I eat chili...does that count? Ask the girl.

Stacy said...

Lorena,
I knew I could leave it to you to go in THAT direction with the potty humor!

Bekah said...

Hannah is hilarious! I can't wait to come home and see you guys!

Bekki said...

she is so cute!

whatyoudidn'tKNOWlton said...

Awesome, you are so great!!! I guess Potty humor is funny when it's just every once in a while, not 24/7 like it is my house. Not funny for that long!!!

Ashley said...

HI Cade and Family,
This is a voice from your mission past (If I am remembering correctly that is what they call it)
It is Ashley from LSU in Baton Rouge. Hope you remember!?!?
Your family is beautiful!!!!
I thought you should know that you inspired one of my children's names - His name is Cade Andrew and he is 6!!!
Great Blog

Unknown said...

That is too cute, and I am so glad our bum's don't talk.

Erin said...

That is so cute. I made the mistake of saying something about "your body tells you" blah blah blah and totally got blank stares followed by simultaneous "Um, mom, our bodies don't know how to talk!". Nice of them to clue me in really...

Goldie said...

This has nothing to do with potty humor, but I could make it, there will be kilts....... we are going to the Scottish Festivial this weekend, Saturday, you guys should come!